Friday 21 September 2007

Night School

Well I have just had my first night school on the RYA Ocean course at Fleetwood nautical college. The course tutor Alan Ollerton has some 46 years of experience and at our first meeting that clearly shows. It was good to see a few other friendly faces in Paul and Alan who did the Yachtmaster course last year and are equally as enthusiastic as me in the in the quest to expand their knowledge, with plans to put it into practice in the not too distance future.

The first evening was just a gentle introduction into some of the topics we will be covering on the course and believe you me I am glad we are starting at the shallow end. I am a big fan of GPS, no doubt about it, but I also have a huge passion for what we are about to be taught. Marine electronics have clearly made a large impact on the ability for any person with a basic understanding to make effortless passages safely!

I am intending to use the sextant at every opportunity in recording our passage making. The plan being that I will keep a daily log, which will be based on the manual calculations using the knowledge gained on this course, whilst Jo will be keeping an eye on my progress, using GPS, the agreement being if we are not were I say we are then a simple suggestion or hint should correct my endeavours.

Asking Alan to suggest some reading material to supplement the course was quickly followed by Tom Cunliffe – Ocean Sailing, which came as no surprise, two minutes on Amazon and the book should now be on its way.

No comments: