Tuesday 20 May 2008

Boat Work

Well now that Jo has gone back to the UK for a short while, allows me to crack on with some outstanding jobs.

The one I have been waiting to do is in the engine bays to finish off the generator stand and the compressor stand, one stand in each engine bay. When I was in La Rochelle, I measured up and created a drawing of exactly what I wanted, and then to find someone in La Rochelle to fabricate my design.

The hardest part was measuring up inside the engine bay with bits of string, gaffer tape and shackles acting as the plumb weight, to ensure I get the correct shape.

After about 2 hours of measuring and climbing in and out of the engine bay, I had the design. There was only a very small tolerance to work with. The stands were made from 12mm marine grade aluminium, which keeps the weight down and maintains the strength.



When fitting the stands and then loading the generator on top was a great moment, it fitted perfectly, big sigh of relief!

The journey form La Rochelle to Graciosa was a fair test and the stands passed without a hint of any problems.

The generator is the small Honda commercial set EC 2200, which when running puts out 2.2KW, having both 230V and 115V, I have seen this unit on most building sites back in the UK, running power tools, talking to the guys who were using them confirmed that this was what was needed for the boat. I am using the 230V plugged into the shore power lead (230V), which when the generator is running supplies the whole boat with power, charges the battery and heats up the hot water, it’s great!



The generator is running as I write this update, the unit is reasonably quite 76db, the fuel consumption is low and being the only bloke in Graciosa with a portable generator and no power supplied to the pontoons makes you very popular with other yachties.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi mate! Good work on the blog. Excellent to see what you have been up to! (Obviously green with envy and all that ha ha!)

Great pictures as well, pleased to see that you have started to include them in your blog. Makes it all the more real.

You certainly haven't been missing anything at work. Tour.net is still going ahead so far, so we will see what happens!

Went out on a blinder in Poulton last week for Emma's birthday. Me Christie and Ferris managed to get a lock in, in a club until 6 so great night as you can imagine. Been taking a load of photos so you can appreciate how much you are enjoying yourself over there instead of stuck over here with us. lol. (Have moved into the Ferris household in the last few weeks, but not got my broadband connection sorted yet, but this will be any day now.)

Sitting in the kitchen at work as I write this and would much rather be over there. Still I am testing the system for the next two weeks, so I am thrilled to be here as you can imagine! ha ha.

Anyway, will speak to you soon and let you knwo when I get my own blog sorted out which will be the same as yours with the exception of the Boat, and the Sun and the dolphins, and the scenery and the nice food and the sea. (But it may well have a lot of pubs in it!)

cheers
Paul

Paul said...

Jo (and Kev!),
What a great Blog and a great adventure!
I will now monitor your progress from my desk at BT in Leeds with much envy.
Jo, hopefully I will get a chance to catch up with you in Leeds before you leave - there are many people here who would like to wish you bon voyage, so if you can make it down it would be great.
Best Wishes for the future,
Paul O'Looney.

Kev & Jo said...

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the update, good luck with the testing and the roll out.

Funny thing is, I dont miss it, cant think why??

Wish the old duffer a happy birthday from me and hope emma get the car sorted.

Anyway back to the bar for another cold one, it's tough, but someone has to do it.

Take care mate and start planning your trip out here.

Kev

Anonymous said...

Ha, will do! When is the best time to come over mate? I am thinking end of June? but whenever is suitable will be fine.

cheers