Friday 31 August 2007

Purposeful Reminder

This blog update comes to you on the move by the wonders of modern communications, via email from my mobile. A few people have asked about updates en route, we certainly will and hopefully far more frequently. It is in fact the reason for the blog, however then it will be via email from our satellite phone.
It is 7pm on Friday night and I am still travelling home after a week away with work in Newcastle. ETA 10pm. I am away usually Mon-Fri but this week was a bit shorter due to the Bank Holiday. I had about 3 hours sleep last night finishing some vital report and I will still have a lot of catching up to do tomorrow. Finally breaking the vacuum seal of hand and eye to laptop to watch the normal people on the train and the lovely late summer evening over Cumbria, I can finally unwind. It takes rare moments of peace like this for me to venture a thought to what we have planned. It's still a feeling of the unknown but boundless to me yet. I have no fear of the change now, but I do have to remind myself of the harder side of the adventure so it's not just an escape from the hard work of today to a dream or idyll to then be later disappointed by the reality.
I suppose that the sound of my working lifestyle probably sounds like reason enough to want to go, but I'd like to think that's it's not as simple as that. I am very successful at what I do, as is Kevin, we could easily continue on this path for years to come, saving the money and counting down to Friday each week. In my mind at least though, I feel like that is itself the reason I can justify giving up the big career to go. I've proven I can do it now and so it is time for a new challenge. If I can make a go of living this life, no reason not to try something new.
Still real life trundles on in the background. Our first viewing at our house tomorrow, they have theirs to sell still though. Also my Rebreather was collected to go to it's new home yesterday too. Kevin's truck is on eBay after frantic polishing in a break in the rain last weekend. So, the To Do list is finally begining to seem achievable.

2 comments:

Barefoot said...

we have been following this blog since i found it last week on my research to start a very similar project and we wish u guys all the best!!

Who knows maybe our paths may cross one day on the sea.We live in Southern Portugal N37 08.000 W 8 35.520 and if somehow you coming along this way would be great to meet you.Im watching a couple cats from my window right now :)

Richard & Pauline

Kev & Jo said...

Richard & Pauline,
We have just looked on Google Earth at your position, what a great spot! We'd love to meet up, hopefully we could could on route to the Canaries. We will enter you in as a Weypoint and contact you nearer the time to see if you are around. How fantistic to have it all outside your window!
Until then, please do let us know how your plans are developing - kevjopenney@googlemail.com.
Thanks for getting in touch
Kev & Jo