Tuesday 10 June 2008

La Graciosa - IV

After a brief rest following my return from working my notice, I am now back on my blog updates job. This update being happily from the saloon table on Invincible at last after a very long three weeks back in the UK. After 2 days back on Graciosa it feels like I have never been away, I have quickly adopted the local customs under Kevin’s tuition of an early start and walk to the toilet/shower block on the other side of the harbour followed by a coffee at one of the cafes to reflect on plans for the day. After lunch, this involves a siesta, which according to the local timetable can be anytime between 12pm and 5pm. Following siesta and any other required tasks, the cruisers generally gather in one of the pavement cafés to plan the evening ahead.

Yesterday, my chosen daytime activity was sometime at the beach, on account of my extremely white legs which are noted immediately on introduction by all of the other cruisers which Kevin has made acquaintance with in the last three weeks. There is a long sandy beach within a 10 minute walk of where the boat is moored which I now realise is where all the day trippers head when they arrive at the island. There was perhaps 10 other families on the 2 mile stretch though which could therefore, by no means by regarded as over crowed and I gather there are further beaches if more seclusion is preferred. It was great to finally lay back and read a book which is something I don’t seem to have had time for in months. The sun was very warm and the constant tradewinds helped to keep things cool, which is just as well as I am not a seasoned sunbather. I was also itching to go for a swim, Kevin declined, but the water is so clear and blue here it is very inviting. The entrance to the water is over lava smoothed by years of wave motion, the result is very smooth plateau and very gradual slope into the water, then below the waterline there is fan-type weed covering the surface creating a sensation of walking on a deep pile carpet. The water is fairly refreshing at 22 degrees well but worth the effort.

Today’s activities has been completing some accounts and other jobs remaining after my time working and also finally sitting down to edit the dolphin video which I should finish off as soon as we get on mains power. Kevin is now itching to get out sailing, so after our agreed weekend off for me on my return, we are heading off again tomorrow, we are planning 1-2 days at either Puerto Calero or Marina Rubicon (depending on who responds later by email to say they have space for us) to make use of shore power, Wifi, a hose, laundrette and other such luxuries in a full marina. Our next aim will be to spend sometime at anchor, once the boat is clean and our tanks are refilled. Playa Quemada sounds good from the pilot guides “a small fishing village situated on a beach...a few bars and restaurants serving fresh fish dishes”, sounds just our sort of place to anchor up and tender in.

The other main task on access to Wifi, will be to rearrange our wedding after a third and final change of plan (thanks to all our family and friends for their patience!). We have decided now that as the house has sold rather sooner than planned and we will not be departing from Portsmouth, but flying back for the occasion that it seems a bit of a retrospective step for our trip. That plus I now admit it was rather ambitious for me to try and organise the wedding in three weeks, whilst working my notice and trying to visit friends and family up and down the country to say my goodbyes. After a near breakdown under the pressure I suggested to Kevin a beach wedding in the Caribbean after Christmas instead, as a number of my family were already planning to visit then anyway. So after a final and unequivocal vote for the plan from Alex, we are now planning February half term in Grenada, I will be sending out links to a wedding website to invitees (as soon as I have built it next week!) with details of travel and accommodation etc.

Finally, I just wanted to say a final farewell to my ITRF team and all the others I have worked with in Leeds and Newcastle a big thank you for their kind words and cards and generous gifts on sending me off. I have worked with some great people in the last three years and I hope you will all keep in touch and let me know how you are getting on and if you find yourself in an area we are visiting then please get in touch as we’d love to meet up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jo - PLEASE COME BACK !!!!

I've misplaced Paul Storey and I think I may have accidentally broken ITRF..... did you by any small chance keep a back up (of either?)

Seriously though, great to see you’re finally off on your adventure in earnest, all here are still singing your praises and you are very much missed. Despite having left our shores PM's can still be found trembling in darkened corners fearfully whispering your name. Like wise testers bare witness to your triumphs over the tyranny of rogue developers and your masterful ability to track down and find even the most lost of time scales!

Should you decide that you've had enough of the sun, sea and sangria we have reserved a chair for you in the cage where the views of the Tyne are said to be breath taking and not unlike that of the Golden Gate Bridge (if you close one eye and squint really hard so Mohua assures me)

Anyway – keep up the blog and please come back soon before I really do some damage ; - )

Kieran M

Kev & Jo said...

Hi Kieran,

Tempting as that all sounds, I'm afraid I am far from having too much of the sun, sea and sangria yet. Infact very remiss, not even had any Sangria yet, but will look to rectify that as soon as possible!

Thanks to everyone there in Newcastle and especially to yourself for helping with my escape. Please do stay in touch.

Jo

p.s. forgot to mention in the blog, in the first placed we stopped after I got here (Puerto Calero), the boat moored right behind us was registered in Newcastle! I was half expecting a "Surprise" and the ITRF team to jump out, John was talking about a floating testing hit squad...!