Friday 17 April 2009

Cane Garden Bay, Tortola, BVI

I had decided recently that fulltime boat life was not as active as we had imagined it would be and that I needed to get a bit more exercise. I decided to reinitiate my Pilates podcast exercises and so duly got changed, got out my exercise mat and assumed the position… only to find that for some reason my 30 minute workout had somehow been deleted from the iPod! Every single other podcast was still present but the one I actually use was gone. Ah well

So, then I decided to start on swimming, my regime is ten laps of the boat a day. This may seem the obvious answer to exercise but with all of the water from a tank you just can’t have several showers a day. So we decided to swim about 2pm, the hottest part of the day, then have our evening shower afterwards.

The swimming is lovely where we are at the moment, as catamarans providing a large area of shade tend to attract shoals of small fish. The small silver fish swarmed around the port keel and another shoal of slightly larger silver fish had occupied the starboard keel. However, lurking below were a couple of jacks (which eat little fishes). It was fascinating watching the jacks dart up dividing the shoal in front of them. I actually detected that the sneaky jacks were taking advantage of my laps disturbing the small fishes from their spot to make their attack. I felt a bit bad about that, but I didn’t actually see one taken.

This being a Friday, even if we hadn’t been working this week, it still feels like it should be a night out. We’d agreed with David to meet him for Happy Hour drinks. Just as we were leaving Mike arrived back from collecting Jean from the ferry from St. John’s, USVI. Jean had had a three connection back from the UK so we were not sure whether she’d feel up to a drink. We saw Mike and said to come along if they felt up to it.

Myett’s bar occupies a good spot along the beach, though we hadn’t actually made it that far yet. We met David on the road on the way in and entered through the beautiful garden entrance and found a spot near the bar. It was Happy Hour here too so we took our beers and settled in. There was a live singer here as well but he wasn’t half as good as the Elmtones!

Soon after Mike and Jean arrived and so we had a lot of catching up to do. It was an excellent night, I think everyone had one or two more than normal until eventually we made our way back along the beach back to the boat.

No comments: