Monday 27 April 2009

Great Harbour, Jost van Dyke, BVIs

No, you are not mistaken by the heading, we did actually leave Cane Garden Bay and hadn’t taken root as perhaps some were expecting! Monday was a busy day, I had to get up at 4.30am to speak to my bank in the UK that morning, so that we could leave that day with everything sorted, as some things I prefer not to do online. I went back to bed then and Kevin was busy on the internet downloading information about when we were heading and putting waypoints into our various GPS for our trip.

When I got up I headed ashore to dispose of our rubbish /  garbage and buy some fresh supplies. I saw Jean on the way past who was busy at the laundry having also had an early start. She said Mike was busy scrubbing their waterline, which made me feel guilty as I’d promised to clean our props the day before but wasn’t feeling well enough. Feeling inspired then, I dashed back to do that job before our lunchtime departure.

I kitted up quickly and got straight in when I got back, removing the beards which had accumulated on our props and stern drive legs in the last few weeks and generally cutting my fingers to shreds on the barnacles! I changed tools to a soft plastic scraper though and improve my method and very soon had them restored to their former glory, everything removed even the barnacles. Our hulls had a small amount of weed on the waterline, but we have decided that as the antifoul is so soft we won’t scrub it as it wears it too fast. Kevin had pulled a a piece of weed and it came off easily. In fact by the time we had arrived at Jost van Dyke later that day the antifoul had done it’s job and all the growth on the outside of the hulls had worn off and most of the stuff on the inside was gone.

Mike and Jean motored past to the fuel dock and we gave them a few minutes before we got our anchor up and followed. We had a steady motor the 5 miles across to Jost van Dyke, arriving about 2pm. Great Harbour in Jost Van Dyke is possibly slightly overstated a title, though it is a nice large bay it is populated only by a small number of houses, which is I think part of the island’s charm with only 200 inhabitants. I picked up Mike and we went ashore, I was a little too successful in my deployment of our stern anchor for the dingy, which in combination with a lack of foothold on the dock, I managed to fall in! Luckily the water was only less than waist deep even for those of diminutive stature like myself and only my shorts were wet as I walked up the beach to get ashore instead. Luckily the police station for checking out is just off the dingy dock and they dealt with us swiftly.

 

DSC05506 (1280x960)

Kevin, Jean and Mike arriving at Foxy’s, Jost van Dyke

We met Mike and Jean again later a drink at the famous Foxy’s bar, the first local to capitalise on the boating visitors. The ceiling is literally plastered in business cards and t-shirts of previous visitors, including lots of id cards, how the absence of these were explained after their holidays I’m not sure! We had a couple of rounds in here, those at 18$US a round in Happy Hour, we could see why Mr. Foxy himself is now impersonated by a plastic model rather than the man himself who was presumably off spending his cash somewhere!

DSC05508 (1280x960)

Jo, Jean and Mike at Foxy’s – beneath the previous visitors’ t-shirts

No comments: