Wednesday 22 April 2009

Cane Garden Bay, Tortola, BVI

We get an email from Mike & Jean to see if we need anything from Road Town whilst they are there and we ask Mike to see if he can pick us up a stern anchor. I am busy looking at flights for Alex to come out in the summer and we are trying to confirm who will travel with her.

My next job is the laundry, one of the local hotels has a laundry for their towels / bedding etc which is open to the public for $2 a wash and 25 cents for 5 minutes in the drier which is the cheapest we have found anywhere. I take my book and Kevin drops me at the dock and I proceed to do our three loads of washing and drying. There is a local lady working in there doing the hotel laundry but she isn’t too chatty. I even manage to borrow an iron from the hotel reception, though she doesn’t have a board and I have to iron Kevin’s linen trousers and shirt on a towel on top of one of the washers, still I manage a reasonable job of it.

Ironically when Kevin comes to pick me up there are two men repairing the dingy dock, rebuilding all the sides and replacing the missing planks on top. Two days too late for us though!

Mike and Jean arrive back just after we have finished making up the bunk and we pop over to collect our dingy anchor and see what their plans are for the next few days. They had been toying with the idea of joining us up to the Turks and Caicos but sensibly decide as they have another charter in 2-3 weeks that they don’t want to risk the return journey against the weather in short a short time window. Instead we agree to travel with them as far as the Spanish Virgin Islands, where they will spend their couple of weeks off. We depart on Monday, first to Jost Van Dyke to check out. Kevin also hands Mike his fishing rod which he has set up for him, giving him a lucky lure, so now he has no excuses!

No comments: